In the world of home backup power generation, many prefer to rely on generators. After all, the threat of outages is real, and having backup power on hand is an important safety measure. But some people like to stick to the tried and true, practical methods that have always been used for backup power generation — such as electricity from the local utility or an oil-burning stove.
That being said, nothing stops you from exploring the latest technology and alternatives when it comes to backup power. And there’s no more resourceful option than to look for a portable generator that can be purchased at a reasonable cost. Since the market is rife with options, and no two will be alike, the best advice is to find a best 5000 watt generator portable generator that fits your needs and budget.
Best 5000 Watt Generator – At A Glance
- Champion Power Equipment 100231 6900/5500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Wheel Kit
- DuroMax XP5500E Gas Powered Portable Generator-5500 Watt Electric Start-Camping & RV Ready
- Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment WGen3600DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane) Electric Start Portable Generator 3600 Rated 4650 Peak Watts, RV Ready, CARB Compliant
- Champion Power Equipment 100519 6250-Watt Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology
- Generac 5939 GP5500 5500 Running Watts/6875 Starting Watts Gas Powered Portable Generator
- Honda 663640 EM5000SX 120V/240V 5000-Watt 389cc Portable Generator with Co-Minder
- A-iPower AP5000V 5000-Watt Gas Powered Portalable Generator | AP5000, 5000 WATT, Oranage
- Simpson Cleaning SPG5568 5,500-Watt Portable Gas Generator, 5500 Watts
- Pulsar 6,000W Portable Gas-Powered Generator with Wheel Kit, PG6000
Best 5000 Watt Generators Reviews
1. Champion Power Equipment 100231 6900/5500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Wheel Kit
For a power outage or emergency, you’ll need a dependable and portable generator for your home. The Champion Power Equipment 100231 6900/5500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator is the perfect solution for the job! This generator has a 5500 watt capacity, meaning it can power essential appliances like your refrigerator.
It also comes with a low oil shut-off sensor that will shut the engine off when it detects low oil levels and includes a fuel safety switch that lets you turn off the fuel pump without accidentally turning off the entire system. With a powerful 5500 watt generator, this is also one of the best generators in its class. It can run on either gasoline or propane, and it includes many features that make it safer and more reliable.
2. DuroMax XP5500E Gas Powered Portable Generator-5500 Watt Electric Start-Camping & RV Ready
The XP5500E is a workhorse for many different projects. This best 5000 watt generators offer 5500 starting watts and 4500 running watts to handle heavy loads. And it’s equipped with Duromax 224cc OHV engine for reliability. This gas powered portable generator features a fully featured power panel with plenty of power to handle multiple jobs. For an RV, cabin, construction site, or anywhere else you need electricity on the go, the DuroMax XP5500E can help you out.
3. Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment WGen3600DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane) Electric Start Portable Generator 3600 Rated 4650 Peak Watts, RV Ready, CARB Compliant
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF Dual Fuel Generator is rated the #1 best selling 5000 watt generator on the market. With 3600 watts and 4650 peak watts, this dual fuel generator is perfect for powering a wide variety of machinery and household appliances. The Westinghouse WGen3600DF Dual Fuel Generator has a 4-gallon fuel tank, and can run on either gasoline or propane. This generator has a cast iron engine sleeve for added durability and longevity. With automatic low oil shutdown, a 208cc 4-stroke OHV engine, and 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine, this generator is perfect for emergency situations.
4. Champion Power Equipment 100519 6250-Watt Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology
The Champion Power Equipment 100519 6250-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator is the best inverter generator on the market. It’s equipped with Champion’s Quiet Technology and has an extended run time of 12.5 hours on gasoline. This inverter generator has 12.5 hours of run time, a 4.2 gallon fuel tank, and 4 stroke 301cc OHV engine with power for up to 5000 watts of continuous running watts and 6250 watts of starting watts.
5. Generac 5939 GP5500 5500 Running Watts/6875 Starting Watts Gas Powered Portable Generator
This Generac 5939 GP5500 5500 Running Watts/6875 Starting Watts Portable Generator is a gem for any household. With a Generac 389cc OHV engine and 7.2 gallons fuel tank, this generator is the best 5000 watt generator for the money. You’ll never have to worry about flat wheels with this unit, because it offers reliable portability with its never flat wheels and locking handle. The Generac 5939 GP5500 5500 Running Watts/6875 Starting Watts Portable Generator provides 10 hours of run time at 50% load and also comes with a 2 year warranty.
6. Honda 663640 EM5000SX 120V/240V 5000-Watt 389cc Portable Generator with Co-Minder
Hurricane season is just around the corner. The Honda 663640 EM5000SX 120V/240V 5000-Watt 389cc Portable Generator is a great way to be prepared for an emergency. Whether it’s a hurricane, tornado, or just the power going out, this generator can power countless devices and appliances when the power goes out.
With its powerful 7000 watt starting power, this generator is one of the best 5000 watt generators on the market. You won’t regret buying this high quality generator with specially designed voltage regulation technology which ensures you have steady voltage to power your devices. The Honda 663640 EM5000SX 120V/240V 5000-Watt 389cc Portable Generator can run for 11.2 hours at 50% power and full power lasts 8.1 hours.
7. A-iPower AP5000V 5000-Watt Gas Powered Portalable Generator | AP5000, 5000 WATT, Oranage
The A-iPower AP5000V is a 5000-watt generator that is perfect for the construction site. It has a fuel tank with 4.0 gallons that provides up to 12 hours of run time at 50% load, and a high performance 223cc / 7.5hp ohv engine that offers an average run time of 9 hours at 50% load. It is equipped with three 120 volt 20 amp outlets and one 120 volt 30 amp outlet, which is perfect for powering all of your tools on the job site. The A-iPower AP5000V also comes with an easy start pull cord and a low oil shutdown feature.
8. Simpson Cleaning SPG5568 5,500-Watt Portable Gas Generator, 5500 Watts
The Simpson Cleaning SPG5568 5,500-Watt Portable Gas Generator is perfect for camping, tailgating, or just out of power. The 5500-watt generator can provide a steady amount of power without the worry of it shutting down and leaving you in the dark. With a 420cc engine, low oil shutdown feature, easy mobility and storage, four 120-volt 20 amp household plugs, one 120-volt 30 amp locking plug, 5000 running watts and 6800 starting watts, this generator is sure to meet your needs.
9. Pulsar 6,000W Portable Gas-Powered Generator with Wheel Kit, PG6000
The Pulsar 6,000W Portable Generator is our most powerful generator with the best value for your money. You need a lot of power to support your off-grid lifestyle and we’ve got it. This single cylinder, 4-stroke, air cooled, ovh engine can produce up to 6,000 watts of power at peak. Even when you’re running it at half load, this generator will have enough juice for up to 15 hours of continuous operation. Plus it comes with a 3 in 1 digital meter for accurate readings.
Best 5000 Watt Generator Buying Guide
The first step in any home power system is getting your house to a power source. You’ll use at least a 5kW generator in most cases, but a 15kW unit is becoming the norm. But beyond the basics, choosing the best 5000 watt generator is more art than science. There are a few things to keep in mind, and we’ll outline them below.
1. Always get the most powerful model possible For the sake of this guide, we’ll be focusing on 250 – 5000 watts of generator power output. Any more and you risk burning out the motor of the generator. While the average 1-gallon generator only burns about 20-30 gallons of fuel a year, 5000w generators are typically home fuel-run power tools, so they use a lot more fuel. That means a lot more fuel (typically 2 gallons or more) to run.
Our top 9 best 5000 watt generator can be found in the chart below, in the order of highest-rated to lowest rated. Before we get started, it’s worth noting that there are some small differences in the highest rated generators’ features, depending on the price range and other variables, such as brand and type. Also, as mentioned earlier, the generation rating only offers a broad overview of the generator’s power output. Most manufacturers base their ratings on an engine’s maximum continuous rated output, which means that in some instances, you’ll get more than 5000 watts of power for a given RPM.